Monday, January 21, 2008

Intro to Sake

I turn 30 this year.
So if we do the math, hhmmm, let's see, I've been drinking sake for close to nine years.
In that time I have tried a lot of awful stuff, especially in the early stages of experimentation, when the rule was to try mostly whatever I could get my hands on.
As time passed and I continued to try various types and kinds of sake from all over Japan, and some produced here in the U.S. as well, I learned to discern many things about sake, it's flavor profiles and unique aromas, the various regional styles involved in sake and the brewer's approach to producing probably one of the world's most exacting beverages.

In this blog I hope to share with you some of my experiences, some of my revelations and insights gained from tasting various sake and I hope that you might get something out of it. I'll try to pretty regularly discuss various bits of sake knowledge, and I will discuss some of the culture and habit of sake, it's history and process. This site will not replace a comprehensive source such as John Gauntner's site or books, but it might give you enough of an interest to pursue his books or research other books on your own.

Most importantly, I hope that it just gives you enough information to pursue sake in one form or another.

You might wonder what makes me so eligible to spout sake knowledge and pretend I know what I am talking about, well, over the past nine or so years, I have taught five or six classes on sake, I have met with a few brewers, lived in Japan for a year (where I tasted as much as possible), and generally spent a lot of time poring over various books and information pieces to learn as much as I could about sake. It's been a sort of obsession for me as a link to Japan, a country which I deeply love.

I also have been working in the liquor distribution trade for about two years now, primarily selling sake, so I have had the opportunity to taste, smell and see a wide selection.
I hope you enjoy what I can tell you about sake, and I hope to hear your thoughts on sake too, please share your opinions and thoughts as feedback is always welcome.
Thanks!
-Matt

1 comment:

Erin Palmer said...

I know you will become addicted to blogging! I love it! Everyone needs to know more about sake. :)